Friday, August 23, 2024

Nature Friday The Return of the Raccoons

  Photo is from 2023 and a recreation by mama and PicMonkey.

 I have lived here for almost 4 years and have seen racoons with my own eyes, twice in 2023, but none in  2020.2021.2022.2024. Mama was happy thinking they had left town. 

She was chatting over the fence this week with neighbor Willie, while his pit Suzie and I were talking through the fence too. Ours was not verbal, it involved sniffing noses and bowing down asking to play.

 Per Willie, they are Still Here. She told him I had meetings with them twice in 2023, nothing bad happened because I am good and mind Mama.

Our Angel brother Jake had a terrible fight with a pregnant one in 2014 and since then Mama is scared to death one will attack when she takes me out. Daddy and Jake and the coon went at it in the dark.

Mama is a nervous wreck because Willie told her the night before last, there was the biggest coon he ever saw running around on our roof, and that he went down the avocado tree from the roof, dove in the pool, swam to the other end, and ran up the pine tree. Willie was out in his yard with his dog on leash, they have 3 dogs and no fence. except ours on once side.
Since the talk with the neighbor, when it is dark, I have to stand at the door while she Clears the Yard with a Really Bright flashlight.
We have no idea why they have never been seen other than April through July. But then, she did not SEE the one now in August, but now she KNOWS they are swimming in the pool. A few years ago, she saw one swimming in the pool.
.
 The stories about me and Big Boy are here Four Paws Etc: raccoon label. 

Bing AI and mama

Willies Story came just in time for Nature Friday with the Rosy and Sunny at the LLB Back Yard

21 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

WHY would they go for a dip? Maybe looking for fish or something to eat? How funny, and strange.

easyweimaraner said...

we hope there will be no fight... we have this with the nutrias... nelly once got one, but that was just luck, there are many hunting dogs who ended at the vet ... all the good luck for a kind of castle-peace....

Ann said...

Oh no, I hope that raccoon keeps it's distance.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
You'll have to get your woofer going Beau boy, to add to the warning system! Hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

eileeninmd said...

Oh my, the racoon had a fun time in your yard. It must have enjoyed the dip in the pool. They seem to come at night, I hardly seem them during the day. Beau, I hope you can scare them off.
HUGS, have a happy day!

Brian's Home Blog said...

We have a jumbo raccoon that visits here every couple of nights. I've never seen one that big either.

Mevely317 said...

I'm wondering if y'all can get an alarm for the pool. Not sure what they're called (or cost), but I understand it's to alert someone if their child or pet falls in.

Inger said...

How interesting that they like your pool, but then, I guess racoons get hot too.

Inger said...

I think my comment got lost, Beau. I'm glad you are not messing with the racoons they are pretty vicious. Have you tried to scare them away with a big barking session?

Millie and Walter said...

We hope you never see a raccoon again and they are smart enough to hide when your mom goes looking for them, Beau.

Tigger's Mum said...

I've seen bears go into swimming pools in colder places than Florida so maybe racoons need to cool off too.

MELODY JACOB said...

You’ve had quite an adventurous year with the raccoons! It’s a shame that they’re causing so much anxiety for Mama, but it’s good to hear that you’ve had peaceful encounters in the past. It must be quite a sight to see them swimming in the pool and climbing trees! I hope Mama can find a way to feel more at ease while keeping a watchful eye on things.

I invite you to read my new blog post and let me know what you think: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2024/08/health-risks-drinking-alcohol-on-plane.html

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Oh my, I am so sorry to hear this. Like Mama needs more things to worry about.

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

Oh, that does sound a little worrying, Beau! Please stay safe!

Woofs,
Ollie

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

This must be the year of the raccoon...We are also having some "issues" with those masked beasts!
xoxo,
Rosy & Sunny

Betty Manousos said...

scare them away, Beau, take care,
I really enjoyed reading this narrative.

Rose said...

I am like your mama...coons would worry me.

My Mind's Eye said...

Beau I would pay big $$$ to have an image of your handsome self
as yard art
Hugs cecilia

DeniseinVA said...

Oh wow, what a story! That sounded scary with your Angel brother. I did not know they liked to swim.

lexitheschnauzer said...

I'm glad I followed the link to the previous raccoon posts because I remember the second one but not the first one. Your poor Daddy, Beau. Hope those new 'coons leave y'all alone!

CheerfulMonk said...

That’s scary!