Friday, June 10, 2022

Cutest Baby Ever on Nature Friday


Yesterday I showed you a hedgehog and said I would show you something cuter today.
Since 2009, I have bombarded you with photos of any and all living creatures in our yard.
Lizards/frogs/snakes/squirrels/possums/raccoons and recently the teeny tiny cute baby possum.
Tues June, 7,8 and 9th I stood thrilled to the core of my being staring into the eyes of

A baby Eastern Screech Owl.

In our back yard we have Lizards and snakes, squirrels and possums, Raccoons.
I have shared photos of them over the years, we had 3 sightings 2011, 2018, and 2020 when we found the male dead from rat poison in our rain barrel. 
In 33 years I only got one decent photo Link to that 2018 post HERE.


source internet unknown photographer

At 6:15 Am Tues I stood waiting on Beau as he wandered the yard,
The sky was still dark, but light enough to see.
Birds were singing, and my heart was full listening to the Screech Owls Calling to each other.


These are recreations of what I saw. The big one is for details, the others are scale.
I stared hard at the lump on the limb, it moved. I stood very still and did not breathe.
the lump lifted into the air and dropped on the broken stump to the birdbath. my heart sang Baby Screech owl, his back was to me, and as I stepped one slow step closer,
his sweet little head rotated back and I was staring into his eyes.
we stood for possibly a minute just staring at each other.
The hairs on both of my arms stood at attention, the same feeling we get when we hear a song, poem that is so beautiful the hairs stand up. Beau started to move, and I eased
backwards and took him in the house. 
I returned to the same place, he was so close I could have touched him with my foot if I could stand on one leg without falling over an scaring him to death.
At 5 feet distanced we stared at each other. His precious eyes glowed and blinked. I took a tiny step forward, he lifted to the fence and sat and watched me.
I eased into the house to get bob but the Hoot was gone.
Wed am, at the same time I went to see if he was back. He was sitting in the same spot, and we went through the same thing as the day before.
the parents were calling and calling.
Day 3, Thursday I eased out the door at 6:11 and waited. He was not in sight  even though the parents were calling. I realized they were not in the tree to the East but the parents were to the west in the Maple tree. I turned and slowly walked and stopped to look.
There he was, sitting on the pole, we stared at each other and I realized there was a 2nd one sitting 2 feet away from him. TWO Babies, what could be cuter.
I stepped closer, Hoot flew across the pool just barely skimming the water and onto the sea grape limb, Hooter followed. I turned to walk closer and low and behold
NUMBER THREE Baby lifted from the pine tree and went to sit by his siblings.
Hoot, Hootie and Hooter are alive and well.
will they come again today?
I will be waiting with my arm hair standing up, waiting for the thrill of seeing

The Cutest Baby Ever. 

This is posted on both blogs today, I could not choose which to post on. If you have not visited you are done with me for today. Beau totally ignored the babies.
I believe there nest is in the corner of our lot, we have 9 trees that are perfect and woodpeckers live in them and source says they love to live with woodpeckers.



14 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

What a wonderful account of these special sightings. I have often heard but so rarely seen owls in the wild.
Looking forward to hearing about more owl encounters.
Cheers, Gail.

easyweimaraner said...

owls are wonderful animals... we had a small tawny owl in our garage once... it was very verbal at night.. boy the neighbors were furious... but it's a protected species and they could do nothing LOL

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Oh Sqquueeeee... this lived up to its promise. What an honour and privilege to share time with these cuties!!! Beau boy, thanks for letting mum post on your blog, too (and I hope she doesn't mind that I choose only to comment on your page!) I am glad that weren't too bothered and didn't want to chase the owlets as they learn to fly and manoeuvre the sky... hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

eileeninmd said...

Hello Beau,
The baby owls are the cutest! Your Mama is lucky to see these cuties in your yard. You are such a good dog, ignoring the owls. HUGS, have a happy day!

Rose said...

Oh. My cuteness! Hiw wonderful...and how cute!

Sandee said...

Aw, what an adorable post. So cute. I hear them when we're on our boat at night, but never see them.

Have a woof woof day and weekend, Beau. My best to your mom. ♥

Inger said...

They are adorable, so cute!

Brian's Home Blog said...

That really was a very special sighting, cute n' hoot fur sure!

Millie and Walter said...

How cool that you have 3 little baby owls living around you. We're glad to hear they weren't bothered by Beau being around.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is truly an adorable owl. Not sure I've even seen a picture of that one anywhere before.

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

That sounds completely magical! For some years, we had barn owls nesting in our attic, but, sadly, they are not there anymore. We miss them, despite the noise they made!

Woofs,
Ollie

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Oh Sandra, I can't even imagine how beautiful that must have felt!!! Thanks so much for sharing it on Nature Friday!

Tigger's Mum said...

Beau you and your humans are so lucky and it is teastament to their love of the trees and places for owls to live and hunt that they visit you all like that. We hope they all thrive. You are the luckiest, and you must be a household of pure heart for nature to favour you with such experiences. Paw smacks Mr T and F (ps do a copy/paste of this comment into your Humum's blog for us please.)

lexitheschnauzer said...

Oh, this is so precious. And there are 3 of them! Hope they all get to live and grow up. Maybe they will be at least semi-time with seeing you and Beau all the time.