Friday, April 26, 2024

Once Upon an Ottoman FFF

 

In the year 2005, so long ago I was not even alive, da Mama bought two sofas and two black leather ottomans.
 Day after day, night after night, month after month, year after year, Daddy sat with his feet on his. 
(No one sat in the Daddy's corner because it is a direct line to the BIG screen TV. )
Each time he wore out a corner, Mama turned it around until finally all the corners were without stuffing. Mama 's was like new because she only used hers for a desk to sit her lap desk on. 

When I came to live here in 2020, my favorite place to sleep while they watched TV was in the small spot between the two ottomans. I became AKA Line Guard for the family.

Mama explained to me that in American football, a line guard (G), otherwise known as an offensive guard (OG), is a player who lines up between the center (ottoman A) and the tackles (ottoman B) on the offensive line of a football team on the line of scrimmage used primarily for blocking.

A few days ago, I heard Mama say, your ottoman is disgraceful, it has no stuffing, the buttons are gone, the leather looks horrid. I can't even get it clean with leather cleaner. We need to take it to the curb for trash pick-up and I will put mine in front of YOUR PLACE IN FRONT OF TV. I can do without a desk for my desk. 

(She watches TV on the love seat sitting with the two pillows behind her back with legs on the sofa.)

Daddy got upset, and said loud words, and when he said YOU JUST DON"T LIKE IT BECAUSE ITS UGLY, she mumbled ugly words not to be repeated here and huffed off down the hall to her desktop computer. 
  Suddenly Daddy jumped up and hefted the 50-pound ottoman and storming out the door, kicking it shut with his foot, walked to the curb, opened the lid to the BIG GREEN Garbage can and dropped it inside. This may have caused more words since furniture is not allowed in The Big Green Can on Wheels. It is to be placed on the curb. 
Da Mama came steam rolling out of the computer room and I heard words like,
What if it breaks the wheels off, what if it is so heavy the arm can't lift it and throw it in, what if the come in the truck with no arms and the garbage guy can't lift it?
 What if when they smash the garbage thingy the OTTOMAN breaks the guts inside the Garbage Truck?
there may be more, but again not to be repeated in front of the Child in This House of Adults.
Later that day, the truck came, the arm did not break, the truck drove off just like it always does.
Now back to my story...
MY story... the lack of Two Ottomans in the same place since October 13th, 2020, presented a problem.
 I was confused, I could not figure out why the space was empty. Too Much Space, what to do, what to do?

Where should I lay, at first, I would lay snugged against Daddy's new ottoman, like I always did, but then it occurred to me I was not doing my JOB which is Line Guard and not properly blocking the path daddy walks. If I lay on the sofa close enough to be petted, he can stand and walk away. 


If I remove myself from the middle of the sofa, which is where I prefer, especially if Mama sits on her end and they both pet me at the same time, and just move my 80-pound body, spread out as far as I can, this will effectively block all exits from the sofa.
If you look carefully there is a 10-inch-wide space between love seat and ottoman, now Daddy sidles through that to go down the hall. Mama says don't do that you will fall, Daddy does it anyway. she says, just tell him to move.  If Daddy tells me to move I DON"T. If Mama Uses Her Mama Voice, I get up and move. By that time, Daddy is all the way to the bathroom anyway. Then we have to listen to Mama threaten Daddy by saying, if you fall and break a hip, I can't take care of you, and I am not going to hang out with you in a nursing home. 


While I was laying here by the only Ottoman in the house, I saw mama searching on her laptop, she gave me the 

  and said, don't tell daddy I am looking at ottomans...

Today we are joining Yam at My Take, for Final Friday Feature and Just so you know, I AM THE FEATURE and as always, I SLEEP Wherever I Want...butt NOT in da Mama's bed.

Joining FFF with Yam HERE





18 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

DRAMA! I already knew that Daddy would not like getting rid of the ottoman, but am glad that he did. Now I want to know what Mama buys!

CheerfulMonk said...

What a fascinating post! Like Ginny I'm curious to see what Mama buys next. ❤️

Ann said...

Score one for da mamma. Why do daddy's get so attached to old furniture that has outlived it's time.

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

WHoa, that was quite the tailio!! Well, its going to be hard to find a matching ottoman...just get two new ones and put the extra somewhere else, BOL!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Wow, Beau, that was EPIC!!! Thanks for relating the saga of the sofas and the bit between... hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

WFT Nobby said...

Gosh thanks Beau. We're all clear about American Football now.
Toodle-oo!
Nobby.

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

Humans can be really good at complicating things! We hope a new ottoman appears very soon, Beau!

Purrs,
The Chans

Rose said...

I hope mama can find the perfect ottoman!

My Mind's Eye said...

YOU Beau are always the main feature no matter the day
Hugs Cecilia

Millie and Walter said...

That was quite a tale. We hope you get your second ottoman so that you will have your place to snuggle into between them, Beau.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Oh Beau....thank you for making Mama laugh and laugh. We think you should write a sitcom about the antics of your Mom and Dad!
xoxo,
Rosy & Sunny

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Knowing your Mama, Beau, we bet there will be a new ottoman there soon, thus allowing you to take up your line guard position again.

Woos - Misty and Timber

Mevely317 said...

I didn't know your momma knows so much about football! Now I'm thinking you need a jersey of your own with your name on the back. Just like a REAL Line Guard!

I didn't want your story to end, but now I'm looking forward to seeing how you (and daddy) like your new ottoman.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Oh dear Beau, what an OttoOrdeal that was, you need some ear muffs too!

Zoolatry said...

If a Man named Otto lived in my house and he got old and raggedy and grumpy and his buttons fell off (and likely he also forgot to zip up his pants!) I'd throw him out in the dumpster too!
New models always on sale @ Amazon!

DeniseinVA said...

Oh no, an arjy-barjy. Daddy gets attached to his ottoman doesn’t he? Someone needs to tell him mama knows best.

lexitheschnauzer said...

Why do Dads have to be so hard headed, Beau. Maybe Moms could learn how to get them to do what they want, just like we get our Moms to do what WE want! XOX XeXe

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Well that was some story you shared with us. We don't want Daddy to fall. I'm glad the ottoman made it into the garbage truck and there were no issues. Change is never easy.