Saturday, April 4, 2020

search n rescue


Disaster strikes. An earthquake rumbles, an avalanche roars, a building collapses, a tornado roars through a Midwestern town, a hurricane brings destruction to the Gulf Coast or eastern seaboard, a bomb reduces a federal building to rubble.
Almost before the dust settles, the dog and handler teams are there, searching for victims alive and dead.
        They follow their noses to lost and injured or deceased humans



I spent 20 minutes with this Search and Rescue Dog and her handler at the Canine Christmas Festival 2009. As I petted and talked to her, she would put her paw up and wave it at me if I stopped stroking her. Her handler told me they had been to Chilie and many other countries and to Katrina in our country. I asked how they transport to other countries. She said they use military troop transport planes and the dogs fly sitting next to their handlers.  CLICK ON EACH PICTURE FOR DETAIL VIEWS

A little girl came and wanted to pet her, the handler led her down and to the little girl. the little girl was a little nervous at first, the trainer had the dog lie down.

As you can see, the child and the dog enjoyed kisses and huggs. I enjoyed my kisses and huggs also.
With a sense of smell far more powerful than man’s and an ability to probe nooks and crannies that humans cannot penetrate, these dogs save lives and bring comfort to the families whose friends and relatives succumbed in the tragedy.


Search and rescue dogs are the hard-working heroes of disaster relief, but it’s all a game to these talented canines. Finding a victim brings a reward – a hug, a treat, a tussle with a favorite toy. The dogs live for the praise, even though it must sometimes be muted in deference to grief

As I walked away from the working dog, I found one that could work as a horse/reindeer. HA HA. Romeo is a Great Dane and what a friendly and funny dog.




See what I mean about riding him? He could also help Rudoph pull a sleigh with no problem.
Romeo was the funniest of the Santa Shots that I watched that day. He just did not FIT on her lap.

Santa Romeo was the funniest part of my day, was this owner trying to get him on her lap
As Good As It Gets....................

10 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I would have had a ball, what an awesome event. These dogs are amazing. This post reminds me of my post when I went to see the Service Dogs. It is really something else to see them in person, and in action.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
OH this was a LOVELY post!!! Thank you for sharing your memories of it. YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Wonderful post on the rescue dogs. They are all beautiful dogs!
Have a happy day!

Ann said...

OMG, the pictures of Romeos owner trying to get him to pose with Santa are hysterical.
Glad you asked the question about how they transport the dogs to other countries. My doctors son was going overseas and left his dog at home because of the strict laws. He knew a friend who didn't have all the paper work correct and not only would they not allow the dog off the plane but they euthanized it right there.

Mevely317 said...

I'm totally in AWE of the search and rescue dogs. Even the military K-9's. Gives me chills just thinking about it. That's so funny about Romeo and Santa. Not until Zeus visited did I realize how huge -- and intimidating they are.

Rose said...

Haha...my kind of lap dog!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Dogs who work in search and rescue are really heroes and we love them all!

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

Rescue dogs are amazing.

My Mind's Eye said...

What a fun post...the Search and Rescue teams amaze me....

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

LOL! We're sure once they get home he will constantly try to be a lap dog.

SHE says we could be rescue dogs....as long as someone was eating a sandwich when they were buried.